Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Mom's Food Plan: Getting Started

Sam is doing so much better that I decided to put more focus on my own health. I'm seeing an integrative MD who is running some tests and in the meantime has me starting on a healing food plan. For two weeks I was asked to follow a very specific plan that was very similar to Sam's diet, and the first few days were hard but I lost three pounds in the first week and I feel great. The key is to be prepared. Shop for all the ingredients and cook and freeze in portion sizes. Reheat food in steamer, on stove, or in toaster oven. (No microwave.) Doc also says the greatest healing goes on between 10pm and 2am so make sure I am sleeping at that time. That has been a huge stretch for me but it is absolutely incredible how much better I feel with eight hours of sleep a night! She also wants me to eat my biggest meal at noon or "when the sun is highest in the sky", then take a five minute walk, then a 15-20 minute nap. I am resisting the nap the most but have done it a few times.

I need to peel all my vegetables and cook them until they are extremely soft, even puree them. I need to chew my meat and all foods VERY well "until they are a liquid--this is an important part of the digestion process") before swallowing. I can only take small sips of water while eating and all my water should be room temperature. Preferably (so digestive juices are not diluted) I should not drink water for an hour before eating and two hours after eating. This has proved to be very difficult for me and still eat my meals so for now I'm just doing the best I can and trying not to drink much water during a meal.

For now I can't have any fruit except berries, and no strawberries, and I shouldn't eat them with the main meal. I need to eat them 30 minutes after the meal. I've been eating organic frozen blueberries (defrosted--my food plan is a "warming" one so cold foods are to be avoided) and organic frozen blackberries from my garden.

In addition to chewing my food (especially my meat) especially thoroughly, I need to take three deep breaths before I start eating.

NOTE THAT THIS IS A VERY SPECIFIC PLAN THAT WAS GIVEN TO ME BY A DOCTOR FOR MY SPECIFIC ISSUES. DO NOT TAKE THIS AS MEDICAL ADVICE.

Tools:
baking parchment paper
disposable gloves (costco)
zipper snack/sandwich bags
steamer (I have a second rice cooker as a steamer)
1/4 cup ice cream scoop

Staple Foods:
Celtic gray sea salt (amazon)
Lundberg organic white rice (amazon) (Doc wants me on only white rice first 2 weeks)

Meats/Poultry/Fish:

(Turkey is an important part of the plan for me and it is a seasonal item in our local health food stores so I was glad to find it online)

Organic Grass-fed and FINISHED ground beef (US Wellness Meats)
Organic free-range ground turkey (US Wellness Meats, Jimbo's, and Whole Foods have it frozen, Heidi's Hens brand. US Wellness meats has exactly the same thing.)
Organic free-range turkey breast (only US Wellness meats has this out of season)

1 comment: