Thursday, August 1, 2013

Flaky Coconut Oil Biscuits (Vegan Gluten-Free Dairy-Free)


I am a really good baker and even make my own bagels, and this morning I was really missing my beloved toast with butter. I have a friend who has absolutely perfected GF yeast bread but I haven't practiced with her recipe yet, so for now I decided I'd rather not eat bread than eat store-bought GF bread. But I have had success with muffins and cookies so I decided to give biscuits a try. I just took my grandmother's wonderful recipe and made 1:1 substitutions to make this GFCF. They were crispy on the outside, tender on the inside, flaky, and delicious!

2 cups Pamela's flour mix
1/2 tsp. salt
4 tsp. aluminum-free baking powder
2/3 cup milk substitute (I used rice milk)
1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
2 tsp. organic sugar
1/2 cup coconut oil, chilled

Preheat oven to 425. Mix dry ingredients, cut in coconut oil until mix resembles coarse crumbs. (These pockets of chilled coconut oil are what make these flaky.) Add milk all at once and stir until dough forms loose ball. Pat together with your hands (don't overwork the dough) and pat or roll out 1/2 inch thick and cut into rounds. (Instead of rolling out the dough, I used an ice cream scoop, scooped the dough onto baking parchment, and patted it into biscuit shapes! Much faster, cleaner, and easier!) Bake 10-12 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment