Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Oatmeal Quick Bread

Oatmeal does contain some gluten, although you can buy gluten-free oatmeal. Sam's diet is so strict that he is not even allowed to have oatmeal, but I think this is fine for the rest of us. I substituted Pamela's for the wheat flour, almond milk for the milk, I didn't grind up the oats super-finely, and I baked it in a medium-sized loaf pan. It didn't rise that high but it was moist and tasted good; the crust was especially yummy. I based my version on this recipe:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/oatmeal-whole-wheat-quick-bread/

1 cup uncooked oatmeal
1 cup Pamela's flour mix
2 teaspoons aluminum-free baking powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 1/2 tablespoons honey or organic sugar
2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
1 cup almond milk

Preheat oven to 450. Quickly pulse oatmeal in blender to grind it a bit, leaving some larger pieces. Combine dry ingredients, then stir in wet ingredients; you don't have to mix it very long. Pour into greased medium-sized loaf pan or muffin tins. Bake 20-25 minutes for a loaf and less time for muffins.

No comments:

Post a Comment