Saturday, September 17, 2011

Bean Crackers!

I wanted to try making crackers because I haven't found anything out there to buy that doesn't have forbidden ingredients in it. My, my, my, I can't even believe how good these were! I saw someone is selling packages of 18 gluten free crackers on Etsy for $7.50 not including shipping!! Crazy. Seriously, I'm not a fan of everything on the new diet but these crackers were almost as good as pie crust. I came up with the recipe based on a few I saw on the internet. I will make a larger batch next time; this is so small because I happened to have a half cup of pinto beans I needed to use.

1/2 cup canned pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup ground flax seed
1/2 cup very finely grated dried coconut (mine is called "macaroon cut")
1/4 cup (maybe more?) olive oil
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
sea salt
black pepper
1 clove garlic

Preheat the oven to 400. Pulverize everything using a hand blender or food processor. The dough should be about the consistency of cookie dough or grainy pie crust. Roll out the dough thinly (think Wheat Thins) between two sheets of baking parchment, transfer it (still on the parchment) onto a cookie sheet, and sprinkle a little sea salt on top. Press the salt in slightly. Cut into cracker-sized pieces using a bench scraper or table knife. Bake for about 13 minutes until crisp but not burned. Cool on a rack.

April 18, 2012 Update: Our naturopath suggests we stay away from legumes for a while as they are harder to digest. In addition, since posting this recipe I have eliminated baking soda since it failed a muscle test our osteopath did a while back. We really haven't missed it.


No comments:

Post a Comment