Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Turkey Quinoa Nuggets!

The other day Sam's teacher asked me if I would make something for his school lunch that "looked like chicken nuggets." Apparently Sam is always trying to swipe the other kids' chicken nuggets. Here is what I came up with, and Sam devoured them! The photo is showing them with the bottom-side up, which is more browned and appetizing-looking. I used pumpkin to give them that "chicken nugget" color, and I baked them on a cookie sheet on parchment paper.

Half a box of quinoa, cooked
1 pound organic ground turkey
Garlic powder
Onion powder
Black pepper
Sea salt
Flax seed (1/2 cup?) mixed with 1/2 cup (?) water
1/2 can organic pumpkin (for color)
1/2 to 1 cup finely shredded organic unsweetened coconut
1/2 cup (?) coconut oil

Mix everything together with your hands which are wearing disposable gloves. Scoop onto cookie sheet using a cookie dough scoop, and flatten and shape with your gloved hands (if you want to impress the teacher and make them in nugget shapes. I wasn't about to make them into dinosaur shapes, however.....) Bake in a preheated 425 degree oven for about 25 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment